Education System in UK

UK Higher Education System

postgraduate is someone who has already completed a first degree, such as a BA or BSc and is looking for a higher level of study.

Sometimes the term ‘postgraduate study’ means the same thing as ‘Masters study’ or ‘graduate study’. Postgraduatemeans a degree for which the normal entry requirement is a first degree from a UK university or an equivalent degree in your own country, or even a particular level of work experience. Search courses and research for the sort of programmesavailable in the UK.

Most postgraduate study in the UK is divided into two types

What is a taught Masters?

Masters is the next degree level up from an undergraduate qualification and is simply just another word for apostgraduate taught course.

The type of course you are doing will define your relationship with your tutor and the university. Taught courses have a minimum number of contact hours a week – this will be less than undergraduate level but will nevertheless see you regularly attend classes and possibly lectures.

Taught courses are usually divided into a number of modules every term and students pick several which interest them. Students attend a seminar group where the emphasis is on the students to provide their own learning and discussion. The tutor acts in a facilitating role but doesn’t directly conduct the class.

At this level, it’s really up to you what you get out of the experience. Your tutor will arrange one-on-one sessions to discuss your work and you may also attend several lecture sessions per term of around an hour in length.

For taught courses, the end of each term signifies an assessment of the module you chose at the beginning, either through exam or assessed essay. During the final term you could be expected to complete a dissertation, with a few guidance sessions from an assigned tutor.

What is a research degree?

Postgraduate research courses tend to take three to four years as opposed to one year of a taught course. They also carry a higher qualification. Students are expected to track their own study route although support is available through access to university facilities. They are also appointed a tutor for periodic guidance and assistance.

At the end of the course, the student will be expected to submit a dissertation of a much greater length than most taught course students and demonstrate research of an original or groundbreaking nature.

There are different types of research programme, most common includes: Doctor of Philosophy (PhD);Master of Research MRes); Doctor of Law (LLD); Doctor of Science (DSc).

As a student on a research course, you can start at any time during an academic term. You may want to consider arranging to start in September if possible, however, even if you have the flexibility of a research course, as it will allow you to settle in at the same time as students on taught courses.

For more information, contact on  +44 (0) 203 00 888 46